Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH), flagship hospital of Robert Wood Johnson Health System, implemented an integrated workforce management suite of solutions from Kronos Incorporated to improve productivity and engage employees for even better patient outcomes. Kronos also helped the hospital gain insights into employee data and improve reporting, enabling RWJUH to match labour levels to fluctuating patient volume and control costs. In fact, RWJUH exceeded its goals and to date has realized cost savings of more than $10 million with Kronos.
- Today, hospitals of all sizes are looking to transform operations to meet the pressing demands related to patient care delivery and reimbursements. This means that they must do all they can to optimize their workforce, as labour is any hospital's most valuable asset and its most controllable expense, representing nearly 60 percent of operational expenses. Compounding the challenge is the fact that healthcare employees often can't spend enough time on the right patient care activities as they get tied to more administrative tasks.
- To address these issues, RWJUH is using time and attendance, employee scheduling, workforce analytics, and mobile applications from Kronos. RWJUH initially deployed the Kronos time and attendance solution on one campus but after receiving extremely positive reviews from managers and employees, the decision was made to deploy the solution on all campuses. RWJUH was immediately able to significantly increase operational efficiencies and employee engagement.
- The hospital also quickly realized that it could benefit from even greater visibility into employee data, specifically to help managers make evidence-based staffing decisions as they attempt to manage costs without sacrificing employee engagement and quality of patient care.
- RWJUH selected the healthcare specific workforce analytics application from Kronos as part of its larger workforce management suite. The solution integrated into the existing suite and proved to be extremely intuitive, which helped drive employee adoption.
- The mobile analytics application gives managers instant access and insight into actionable information. For example, they can see key performance indicators (KPIs) in an intuitive dashboard, drill down to specific pay or time periods, identify trends, and take corrective actions — from anywhere, at any time through a mobile device.
- The full Kronos suite ultimately enables RWJUH to easily monitor data and compare it to benchmarks, budget volumes, and patient demand, helping the hospital minimize unnecessary overtime, over staffing, and inflated costs. Employees also are more empowered and engaged to deliver the best possible patient care.
- Christine Silvia, productivity manager, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
"With today's healthcare challenges, just accumulating a lot of data is not enough. We needed data that would help us improve operations, make evidence-based decisions, and take the most appropriate action. The Kronos full suite workforce management solution has given us a much better way to make on-demand, data-driven decisions. Not only has the solution helped us meet our productivity goals; it has also enabled us to build a high-performance workforce to deliver outstanding patient care."
- Susan M. Reese, MBA, RN, CPHIMS, director, healthcare practice group, Kronos
"Hospitals today need to identify, predict, and manage opportunities for productivity gains while improving the quality of their services. Yet how can they achieve productivity gains, keep employees engaged, and stay within budget, when they lack insight into data related to their workforce? Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital is an example of a progressive hospital that is taking great strides toward achieving this with the Kronos workforce management suite."
- About Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
- Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
- Learn about the Kronos WorkInspired culture and check out Kronos job openings.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labour costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labour analytics applications at www.kronos.ca. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2016 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos and the Kronos logo are registered trademarks and Workforce Innovation That Works is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. See a complete list of Kronos trademarks.