Over a period of four years, Calgary Zone EMS doubled its staff to more than 500 employees to address the increased emergency service demands of the community. This increase caused platoon superintendents to be overburdened with scheduling tasks which distracted them from critical field supervision. Limitations of the organization’s scheduling technology meant communication with staff suffered, causing delays in shift changes which created more rework for staff in adjusting schedules that resulted in decreased workforce morale.
What Calgary EMS needed was a solution that could:
- Increase productivity and reporting accuracy
- Enhance employee satisfaction and engagement
- Automate the repetitive tasks related to filling shifts and the notification of schedule changes
- Improve operational efficiencies to enhance services delivery
- Manage compliance risks associated with scheduling, staffing and time-off processes
“The staffers like the fact that filling vacancies is based on a set of rules. It makes rostering simple and decreases the negative feedback from field staff when they need to be reassigned”
Using Kronos TeleStaff, Calgary Zone EMS has realized a significant increase in the quality and efficiency of its scheduling practices, helping the department better serve the community with critical emergency medical services.
- Inbound and outbound telephony features alleviate workload on scheduling staff
- Improved communication to employees via their preferred communication device
- Scheduling rules consistently followed and applied to all aspects of the schedule
- Certification and qualifications automatically tracked to ensure compliance with staffing
- Staffing decisions verified against rules when granting leave and time-off requests
With robust features such as customizable scheduling rules; integrated telephone, email, and mobile device communication; detailed auditing; and customized reporting, the Kronos TeleStaff solution is a powerful, cost-effective solution. It provides the features and benefits that best address the needs of the EMS and IT departments.