Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) provides academic instruction to more than 143,000 students at 159 schools throughout Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Manual, paper-based time and attendance processes posed challenges with timecard accuracy and approvals. Keying of employee time into the payroll system was time-consuming and led to errors that required reissuing of corrected pay cheques. Tracking time and correctly compensating employees performing multiple jobs with different pay codes, was also a tedious process.
What Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools needed was a solution that could:
- Provide an accurate accounting of all hourly employee hours
- Automate attendance and leave management processes to ensure compliance
- Track employee time when performing multiple jobs or work at multiple sites
- Deliver a mobile option for future use by off-site employees
“We are able to get time to payroll much more efficiently now. The approval process doesn’t take as long as it used to with paper.”
Director of Payroll, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
An automated workforce management system that accurately tracks all employee time, streamlines the payroll process, and provides employees with visibility into their regular and leave time information.
- Complete automation and enforcement of complex work and pay rules
- Multiple approval capability for employee work performed across multiple departments
- Reporting capabilities that provide on-demand insight into employee time and labour costs
- Facilitate compliance with government leave regulations
- Track intermittent and continuous time off for an accurate account of leave liability
Kronos 4500 Touch ID™ Biometric Terminals
- Touch ID biometrics helps control buddy punching with a simple finger-scan verification
- Self-service capabilities allow employees access to time off balances, schedules, and more
By implementing an automated workforce management solution, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is confident that employees are being paid correctly and that they are in compliance with required leave laws. Fewer pay cheques require correction, and suspected time abuse from buddy punching and badge swiping is no longer a concern. Savings have been realized in paper costs accounting for nearly $110,000 annually. The cost of time spent recording and verifying time in building services has also been reduced from $450,840 annually to $224,640 for a 50 percent increase in operational efficiency and a gain of more than 1,040 hours in added productivity.