In 2012, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH) celebrated the opening of an expansion that doubled the size of the health centre. The hospital’s staff grew by 800 positions to 2,600, and 1,400 internal staff transfers took place. To support this growth, management knew they needed to complement their Kronos scheduling solution with additional tools to serve their complex scheduling and payroll needs, but also to deliver valuable insight into operations and compliance.
What RVH needed was a solution that could:
- Deliver real-time employee data they could leverage to improve operations
- Automate complex payroll requirements to achieve the perfect pay cheque with minimal intervention and rework
- Manage compliance risks associated with union regulations and labour laws
- Provide transparency to the scheduling and timekeeping processes, fostering trust and engagement with employees
“Savings that we realize are now being applied directly to patient care, where the dollars should be focused.”
Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer
Kronos helps RVH better manage its complex workforce with real-time data and tools to realize cost savings and improve scheduling, payroll, compliance, productivity, and employee engagement.
Workforce Scheduler ESP
- Schedule thousands of employees across multiple units and shifts
- Align the right employees with right skills at right time in the right location
- Capture actual time worked and automate flow into the payroll system with accurate job type, location, and classification
- Manage rules to comply with union bargaining agreements
Workforce Absence Manager
- Paid sick time was cut from a high of 6.2 per cent to 3.9 per cent, placing RVH amongst the top 10 per cent of performers within its peer group
Workforce Self-Service Tools
- Self-service tools applied consistently to all hospital staff provide employee data transparency that enhances staff satisfaction
With powerful time and attendance, scheduling, and analytics tools from Kronos, RVH was able to gain greater insight into their complex workforce and operations to equitably schedule the right person with the right skills at the right time, in compliance with collective agreements. Real-time information and automated flow of accurate time and attendance data made it possible to reduce errors and deliver the perfect pay cheque. Employee self-service tools ensured transparency and drives employee satisfaction. With 24/7 anytime, anywhere access to employee data, the organization was able to better serve employees — in turn, providing better patient care.