Canada's Vancouver International Airport (YVR) handled more than 24.2 million passengers last year and continues to grow. Voted Skytrax's top airport in North America for nine consecutive years, and managed by the Vancouver Airport Authority, YVR is focused on delivering excellent customer service. But using paper-based timekeeping, scheduling, and accrual tracking processes for shift workers presented workforce management challenges. An HR employee spent five days each pay period verifying and entering employee time, paper records required storage space, and employees called HR frequently to confirm their accrual balances.
What Vancouver Airport Authority needed was a solution that could:
- Provide cloud-based functionality to reduce strain on its IT resources and automatically deliver the latest solution upgrades
- Automate timekeeping to streamline timecard reconciliation and payroll processing and reduce or eliminate paper-based processes and paper storage requirements
- Streamline scheduling and help ensure appropriate 24/7 coverage by airport operations staff
- Deliver a mobile solution to give employees and managers anytime, anywhere access to schedule information
- Improve leave management, particularly for unplanned and unauthorized leave
"We don't have to enter paper timesheets, so we can reallocate that work to more value-added work, including reporting for HR and management. We're refocusing from administrative tasks to things more strategic."
Manager of Technology Services
Leveraging a Kronos® cloud-based workforce management solution, Vancouver Airport Authority is improving productivity, better managing labour costs, increasing employee engagement, and minimizing compliance risk. The solution also integrates tightly with the Airport Authority's cloud-based payroll and HR systems, helping to ensure all employee data is effectively managed.
- Track and manage employee time and attendance to reduce payroll and leave inflation and manual errors
- Gain insight into approaching overtime to better control labour costs
- Minimize compliance risk by enforcing and tracking complex compliance requirements
- Create schedules that comply with staffing requirements, collective agreements, and labour law regulations
- Optimize schedules by aligning the right employees with the right skills at the right locations and times
- Increase employee engagement through more control of their schedules, including self-service tools for filling open shifts and swapping shifts
- Achieve the visibility and mobile capability the workforce needs to check schedules and submit and respond to time-off requests at any time and location
- Engage workers through easy access to their workforce information from anywhere
Following a change management process designed to create awareness, build understanding, and foster involvement, and training that engaged employees — including a contest to name the Airport Authority's Kronos solution — the majority of employees said they felt prepared to use the solution. HR employees have moved from entering time to more strategic tasks. From a computer or a mobile device, employees can see their schedules, timecards, and real-time accruals; request time off; and see approved vacation time, reducing calls to HR. Managers use the mobile app to check employee schedules and time and to approve time-off requests.